Monday, March 2, 2015

On Awakening


While my soul was asleep, the world was my dream. Nothing was real, everything was ephemeral. Colors were dull, joy edged with sadness, my place uncertain. Now I am Awake; and though I had to die, I have never been so alive. I have Awakened to a world that I hardly understand. Yet it is the same world I used to sleep in. I now understand that the uncertainty I once felt was my soul longing to break free from the dream world I was trapped in and experience the world as it truly is. I don’t know what caused me to trip that night in the cemetery, but I strongly suspect a ghost was involved. The doctors said I was clinically dead for 5 minutes. They had ceased resuscitation, knowing that after that length of time permanent brain damage was guaranteed. But then my heart started to beat on its own. I was in a coma for 3 days after that. They told my parents that it was unlikely that I would ever wake up, and even if I did they said I would be a vegetable for the rest of my life. If only the doctors knew just how wrong they were.
What I experienced in those 5 minutes; or 3 days, depending on who you believe more (quack mystic, priests, or neurologists), can only be described as Rebirth. Not the fake rebirth of modern religions, but a true remaking of my soul. I saw a great tower made of lead on the horizon. For days I traveled across a field of marble accompanied only by the shades of the deceased that call that place home. When I finally reached the tower I had to climb the endless steps to the top. Days I climbed, never needing food or rest. At the top sat a throne of bone and gold, empty and waiting. Along the walls there were statues that looked almost alive in their realism. A name I could not read carved in to the base of each. At the end of the hall a blank block of stone waited, and I felt that it was waiting for me. I picked up chisel and hammer and began to carve a likeness of myself into that rock. As the days passed I realized that I didn’t need any tools; that my will and hands were all I needed to shape the stone. After a week of working, my offering to the tower was complete, and I carved my name into the base. The trip to the base of the tower took only moments now that I understood that the size of the tower was a projection of my will. I exited the tower and Awoke in a hospital bed. The doctors were confused and elated by my miraculous recovery. It wasn’t until a few weeks later that I met someone that could explain the truth behind my strange dream.