Friday, February 26, 2021

Ride the Lightning

 "Boil Damnit, Boil!"

    I shut my eyes hard in frustration.  For all of his mantras, spells, and rotes, I still can't get anything to heat up for some reason.  Cool down?  No problem.  But heat up?

    "Hey, sonny, you want more?" says the tired and overworked waitress.  It snaps me out of my concentration.  I give her a weak confirmation just to get her to leave me alone.  I still feel weird talking to regular people, even after a few months.  I feel like they're eyes are lingering on me, like they know.  I know I'm just being a pussy, but I can't help but feel like someone's watching me.

    Ray...well, Dr. Alice as he wants me to call him...says that paranoia is a healthy trait among Magi.  Apparently there's some cloak and dagger stuff going on.  I still feel like he's making stuff up...but given how everything has changed over the past few months, anything is possible.

    I'm still staring at the freshly poured coffee, watching the liquid churn and swirl.  It reminds me of some of the essence movements I've seen during revelation practices.  Particles flowing in and out of sight.

    At the hostess station I pay, sign the check, and dip out.  Once I'm sitting in my car, I go to stuff the signed receipt into my wallet, and that's when I notice the extra writing at the bottom.  

"11am 101 Inuit Place"

    What the hell does that mean?  I didn't notice it when I paid the check.  Did the waitress or hostess write it?  Is Ray testing me?  I realize I've been holding my breath for a minute and suck in a lung-full.  The sudden noise in the car is loud as hell and breaks me out of my shock.